7 Veg Pasta Sauce
7 Veg Pasta Sauce
This is a really simple sauce and a great way to hide veg into a meal for children and adults alike! You can toss it through any pasta of your choice, mix it through veggie rice jumbles or even mix it through hot chickpeas and toasted kale!
Ingredients for 4 - 6 portions of sauce
A handful of mushrooms
A handful of tomatoes
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves or dried oregano or dried mixed herbs
2-4 cloves of garlic
A tin of tomatoes
Sea salt or Tamari
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c / 350f/ gas mark 4.
2. Roughly chop the carrots (you can leave the skins on or peel if you wish). Roughly chop the courgettes and mushrooms. Peel and dice the onion then put all the chopped veggies in a big roasting tray.
3. Cut the pepper in half, remove the stalk and seeds then roughly chop and add to the other veggies.
4. Quarter the tomatoes if they are medium to large or leave small ones whole and tumble them into the tray.
5. Leave the skins on the cloves of garlic, lightly crush them with the flat side of a large knife and add them to the mix.
6. Sprinkle over the herbs and add a pinch of sea salt or a slash of tamari and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Drizzle over a glug of olive oil, jumble everything together and pop the tray in the oven for the veg to roast for 20-25 minutes.
8. Once the veg has cooked, allow to cool a little for a few minutes then squeeze out the garlic from their skins.
9. Scoop the roasted veggies and garlic into a blender and the tin of tomatoes.
10. Blend the sauce to the consistency that you like - you can leave it chunky or blend it longer to make it super smooth.
11. Have a taste to make sure that you’re happy with the seasoning and the sauce is ready to serve!
This sauce is brilliant to double up to pop a couple of portions in the freezer ready for when the troupes need feeding quickly!