RECIPE FOR APPROXIMATELY 4 SERVINGS:
2 to 3 aubergines, slices lengthways
2 shallots or onions finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1/2 tube of tomato puree
1 x 400g tin butter beans ( drained and rinsed under cold water)
2 tbsp of mixed herbs
2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp of pesto of your choice
1 handful of pine nuts
1 oven proof dish
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C (350F).
2. Lay the sliced aubergines on a baking tray and drizzle with a little olive oil, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and pop into the oven for 15 mins (turn them over half way through).
3. In a separate pan add a splash of oil and turn onto a medium heat.
4. Add the chopped garlic and onions or shallots to the pan allow them to soften, stirring frequently.
5. Add the butterbeans, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, balsamic vinegar and mixed herbs to the onions and garlic. Stir all ingredients together and let the mixture simmer for about 20 minutes until the sauce reduces and darkens in colour. When it’s done, set aside.
6. Once the aubergines are ready, remove from the oven and set aside. Leave the oven on.
7. Take your oven proof dish and start layering. Firstly a layer of aubergine on the bottom then a generous layer of the herby tomato and butterbean sauce. Add a drizzle of pesto and then continue layering until the top layer is aubergine.
9. Finish with a drizzle of pesto and sprinkling of pine nuts.
10. Pop in the oven for 15 minutes until its bubbling slightly and the pine nuts are a lovely golden brown.
Delicious with a big salad, crusty bread or crispy potatoes...