Very few things beat a nostalgic pud - they bring out the child in all of us! Make these your own by changing up the flavours of the fruit stuffing by swapping the mixed spice for your favourite sweet spice of choice like cinnamon or star anise… you can add a little grated ginger… orange or lemon zest… or use maple syrup instead of honey… even add a few chopped nuts into the mix!
Ingredients for 4 baked apples:
2 handfuls of sultanas or mixed vine fruit
2 tablespoons of honey
2 tsp mixed spice
4 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
2 tsp brown sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/ 350c/ gas mark 4.
2. Combine the sultanas, honey and spice in a mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Using an apple corer or a small sharp knife, cut out the core keeping the rest of the apple whole and intact.
4. Lightly score around the circumference of each apple to allow for expansion as they cook and place them in a snug baking dish.
5. Stuff equal amounts of fruit, spice and honey mixture into the cavity of each apple then top the stuffing with a drizzle of olive oil or coconut oil before sprinkling over the brown sugar.
6. Pop the dish of apples in the oven and allow them to bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until they are soft and tender but not completely collapsed. Check on them once or twice throughout cooking.
7. Remove the apples from the oven and allow them to cool a little before serving.
8. Serve one apple per person, making sure each one gets a spoonful of the sticky juices at the bottom of the dish.
These baked apples are a treat by themselves or you can serve them with yoghurt or ice cream of your choice!