Bang Bang Caulishoots
Bang Bang Caulishoots
Crunchy coated Caulishoots with a sweet and spicy dip to dunk them in! Need we say more..?
Serve 2 - 4
4 tablespoons of plain four
1 tsp smoked paprika
100 - 200 ml of water - ideally sparkling
100g of bread crumbs - either home made from odds and end of bread or shop bought
2 portions (400g) of Caulishoots
For the sauce:
2 tablespoons of Nojo Sesame sauce
2 tablespoons of Sriracha - we love the Eaten Alive Smoked Sriracha
1 1/2 tablespoons of maple syrup
1 Tablespoon of Tamari Sauce
The Juice of 1/2 a lime
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil or cooking oil of your choice
1 or 2 chillis, sliced
2 spring onions, finely sliced
Wedges of lime
1. Start with the sauce - Put all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix together really well. Set aside ready to serve.
2. Make the batter by putting the flour, paprika, a good pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper into a large mixing bowl. Grab a whisk and slowly pour in the sparkling water, whisking continuously until you have a smooth batter to consistency of pouring cream.
3. Put the bread crumbs in a separate large bowl and get a large plate ready.
4. To prep the Caulishoots - line up the Caulishoots, batter, bread crumbs and your spare plate. One by one, dip a Caulishoot in the batter then roll in the breadcrumbs until its well coated and and pile up the prepped Caulishoots on the spare plate, ready to cook them!
5 .Place a large frying pan or wok on a medium heat, pour in 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil and let it get hot.
6. Depending on the size of your frying pan, you may need to cook the shoots in batches - Lay in enough Caulishoots to cover the bottom of the pan but don’t over crowd the pan so make sure they’re not overlapping. Fry them for 2 or 3 minutes each side (you should be able to turn them about a 1/4 turn at a time) until they’re golden brown and crunchy on the outside.
7. Carry on cooking the shoots in batches then pile them all up on a plate of board, scatter over the spring onions and chilli and serve with the lime wedges and the delicious bowl of dipping sauce for everyone to tuck in!