Boxxfresh Parcel Pie
Boxxfresh Parcel Pie
This is our luxuriously tasty but light twist on a pie. It’s super simple to make because there are basically no rules… you are free to create a gorgeous rustic, impressive looking pie however you like… make it your own by changing up the filling…
300g mushrooms, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 leeks, topped, tailed, finely sliced and washed thoroughly
3 sprigs of sage leaves, half finely chopped and half kept whole
1 small handful of freshly grated Parmesan plus a few extra shavings
1 block of all-butter, ready made puff pastry
Plain flour for dusting
Freshly ground black pepper
Rapeseed oil or Olive oil
1 egg beaten
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180c/ 350f/ gas mark 4, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and set aside.
2. Place a large frying pan or wok over a medium heat. Drizzle in a tablespoon of rapeseed or olive oil then scatter in the mushrooms. Stirring regularly, allow the mushrooms to fry for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and a pinch of salt before continuing to cook for a further 5 minutes. Transfer the cooked mushrooms to a dish and set aside.
3. In the same pan add the chopped sage leaves followed by the leeks. Season with good pinch of salt and pepper, mix everything together and allow them to steam fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they have softened down into a big lovely tangle.
4. Remove from the heat, mix in the garlicky mushrooms and the grated Parmesan.
5. Dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out the puff pastry, no thicker than 1/2 cm into a, (roughly) circular shape. Transfer the pastry to the lined tray.
6. Pile your jumble of cooked veggies into the middle of the pastry leaving a couple of inches clear around the edges adding the whole sage leaves on top .
7. Pull up the excess pastry to create a crust and gently scrunch the edges together.
8. Brush the pastry edges with the beaten egg and top the pie with the shavings of Parmesan.
9. Place the pie on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is golden, puffed up and crunchy. REMEMBER …. all our ovens are different, check the colour and smell how your pie is cooking.
10. Your parcel of deliciousness is ready to serve. Hot or cold it's a winner !!
We love this pie with a big watercress salad, some crusty bread and some garlicky wedges for a real family feast.