Cozy Root Stew
Cozy Root Stew
This is a rustic, hearty vegetable stew so keep the veggies big and chunky - they’ll soak up all the juices as they cook resulting in a delicious, comforting dish.
Ingredients to serve 4 - 6 people:
2 white onions or shallots, halved and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
1 swede peeled and chopped into big chunks, about 1 inch pieces
2 - 3 potatoes peeled and chopped into big chunks, about 1 inch pieces
4 - 6 carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
1 leeks, cut into 1/2 thick slices
1 tin of butterbeans, drained and rinsed
1 vegetable stock cube
2 or 3 sprigs of thyme
1. Place a large, heavy bottomed casserole dish or deep saucepan over a medium heat and drizzle in a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions, garlic and celery then allow to sizzle and soften for a couple of minutes, stirring regularly.
2. Add the whole sprigs of thyme before adding the swede, potatoes, carrots, leeks and butterbeans, then mix everything together. Let this cook for a few mintues.
3. Dissolve the stock cube in 1 litre of boiling water and pour over the vegetable mixture. Top up the stock level with a little more boiling water if necessary to ensure the vegetables are just covered with stock.
4. Season the dish with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Give everything another good stir. Bring to a simmer then cover with a lid and allow it to cook, either on the stove or in a preheated oven at 180c/ 350f/ gas mark 4, for 45 minutes.
5. Once cooked the vegetables should be soft and and tender and will have soaked up lots of the delicious flavours
Serve the stew in warm bowls, delicious with either crusty bread or with some extra veggies like wilted savoy cabbage.