A delicious seasonal addition to the festive feast!
1 red cabbage, core removed and finely sliced
3 red onions, finely sliced
2 apples, cored and finely sliced into matchsticks
1 cinnamon stick
150 ml Balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp runny honey
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place your biggest saucepan over a low to medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil followed by the red onion. Allow to gently fry for 2 or 3 minutes until they turn translucent.
2. Add the cinnamon stick followed by the apple and red cabbage then tumble everything together. Season with a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper before pouring in the balsamic vinegar and runny honey.
3. Give everything another mix, reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid.
4. Allow the mix to gently cook for about an hour, stirring everything occasionally. The cabbage will reduce in size and change colour to a lovely deep purple.
5. Remove the lid and continue to cook for a further half hour to allow the juices to reduce a little.
6. The cabbage should be lovely and tender with a sweet spiced flavour.
7. When you’re ready to feast, serve the cabbage hot in a nice serving dish.
You can make this delicious red cabbage ahead of time and freeze it, it actually gets better with age, then simply warm it through just before you’re ready to serve!