Half way between a regular pizza and a calzone, these foldover pizzas are smaller and perfectly individually sized! Super for a quick pizza fix - ideal for a picnic, weekend lunch or movie night treat!
Makes 2 pizzas:
400g pizza dough: either home made or shop bought - there are some great fresh or frozen pizza doughs products available these days, ready to roll!
2 heaped teaspoons of tomato puree
1 clove of garlic, peeled and grated
1/2 a Violife mozzarella block, grated
Freshly ground black pepper
Choice of filling:
A handful of sliced mushrooms
Sliced red onion
Halved cherry tomatoes
Sliced and fried courgettes
Slices of roast aubergine
Finely sliced chillis
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c / 360f / gas mark 4. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Put the tomato puree, grated garlic, 2 tsp of olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl and mix together until well mixed.
3. Prepare your choice of fillings - be as inventive as you like and set them aside ready to fill your pizza!
4 .Lightly dust a clean surface with a small handful of flour. Divide the pizza dough into 2 and place them on the floured surface.
5. One portion of dough at a time, press it out into a small disk. Then, from the centre of the dough, working outwards, stretch the dough further, moving it round a little at a time before stretching the next bit until you have a pizza base shape that is 1 - 2 cm thick. Don’t worry if it’s misshapen, tears a little in the middle or a bit uneven - it all adds to homemade goodness!
6. When both bases are ready, divide the tomato puree mixture between them and spread it out to the edges.
7. Top each pizza with a handful of grated plant based cheese, followed by and even scattering of your choice of toppings.
8. Now for the folder bit - take one edge of the pizza base and fold it 3/4 of the way into the centre. With a little water, brush the bare pizza dough top before taking the opposite edge and folding it over the top of the bare dough.
9. Gently press down along the full length of the folded pizzas then place them on the lined baking tray.
10. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 15 -20 minutes and serve!
If you’re taking these on a picnic, wrap them in greaseproof paper and a tea towel to keep them warm.