Leek & Mushroom Soup
Leek & Mushroom Soup
Roasting or frying mushrooms until they become a deep golden brown really brings out their incredible flavour which gives this soup it’s intense natural richness… you wouldn’t believe it wasn’t laden with double cream.
Ingredients to feed 4 for lunch or a light supper:
400g mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 large or 2 small leeks, roughly chopped
1/2 large Spanish onion or 1 medium-sized white onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
2 sprigs of rosemary, stalk removed
1 sprig of thyme, stalk removed
1 mushroom or vegetable stock cube
1 ltr boiling water
2 handfuls of mushrooms (about 100g), halved and slice
1 small leek, sliced
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the biggest frying pan you have, over a medium to high heat. Add enough mushrooms to cover the base of the pan and fry them until they turn a deep golden brown on all sides. You may have to do this step in batches. Set the cooked mushrooms aside.
2. So not to lose any juices and mushroom flavour from the pan which the mushrooms were cooked in, crumble in the stock cube and pour in the litre of boiling water, give everything a whisk and set aside.
3. Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chopped onion, garlic, rosemary and thyme then allow to gently cook and turn lightly golden brown for about 10 minutes stirring regularly. Add the leeks into the pan, mix them into the onions, garlic and herbs then allow them to cook and soften for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the cooked mushrooms, followed by enough stock from the first pan to cover the vegetables. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes.
6. Allow the mixture to cool a little before blending until smooth, either with a hand-held stick blender or free-standing blender. To adjust the consistency to your liking, mix in a little more stock or water.
For the optional topping: Gently cook the leeks and mushrooms in a frying pan with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt over a medium heat for 4 or 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
Serve the soup in warm bowls with a spoonful of the mushrooms and leeks on top along with some crusty sourdough or toasted Sweet Potato Bread.