Leek & Potato Pie
Leek & Potato Pie
Sometimes - you’ve just got to have pie!
This leek & potato pie is delicious, indulgent and a great alternative to a Sunday roast served with some roasted root veggies and a pile of braised cabbage.
2 leeks, halved lengthways and finely sliced
3 potatoes, peeled and cut 2 cm pieces
1 large or 2 medium white onions, diced
3 cloves of garlic, grated or finely minced
4 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
2 tsp of wholegrain or dijon mustard
2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pack of ready rolled pastry, we’ve used Jus-Rol ready rolled shortcrust pastry
For the Bechamel sauce:
2 tablespoons of vegan butter
3 heaped tablespoon of plain flour
350 ml Plant based milk of your choice
1. Pre - heat the oven to 180c/ 340f/ gas mark 4.
2. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with fresh water. Place on a high heat and bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, place another large saucepan on a medium heat and drizzle in a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the garlic, thyme and onions to the pan and mix everything together. Allow the mixture to sizzle gently, stirring regularly for 5 minutes or until the onions soften and turn translucent.
4. Add the leeks along with a good pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, mix them into the onions and allow to cook for a further 3 or 4 minutes or until the leeks have wilted down. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
5. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them and set aside.
6. Place the same pan which you cooked the leeks in on a medium to low heat. Add the butter and allow to completely melt before adding the flour and mixing it thoroughly to form a sticky, doughy ball.
7. Leaving the pan on the heat add the milk little by little, whisking thoroughly each time until you have run out of milk and you have a smooth, creamy sauce. Remove from the heat and set aside.
8. Gently combine all the ingredients starting with your mixing bowl which already contains the leeks then gently fold in the potatoes, spinach, mustard and lastly your Bechamel sauce. Mix everything together gently so that everything is coated in the sauce. Have a quick taste to check you are happy with the seasoning.
9. Transfer the delicious veggie mixture to a heat proof pie dish and set aside.
10. Lightly flour a work surface. Remove the pastry form the packaging and lay it out on the surface before gently rolling the pastry to make sure it’s even and smooth.
11. Lay the pastry over the pie dish and trim the edges off with a knife before tucking them inside the pie dish.
12. Brush the top of the pie with a little olive oil, prick the pastry with a fork all over. The pie is now ready to cook, place it on middle shelf of the oven to bake for 45 minutes or until the pastry has turned a lovely golden brown.