Smoky Sweetcorn Ribs
Smoky Sweetcorn Ribs
This is a super funky way of serving sweetcorn and makes a delicious bowl of tasty finger food snack or side.
Ingredients for 2-4 portions:
2 cobs of corn
The juice of 1 lemon
1 heaped teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 clove of garlic, grated
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 tablespoons of plant based mayo - we used The Vuger Co. Smoky ‘Bacon’ mayo
A small handful of coriander or flat leaf parsley
If you’re roasting these, pre-heat the oven to 200f/ 390c/ gas mark 6 OR if your having them as part of a BBQ ,you’ll need the BBQ on a high heat or at a stage when the coals are ready to cook on.
1. Peel back the husks and silks (stringy fibres) from the cobs of corn.
2. Snap both cobs in half which you should be able to do with 2 hands.
3. One-by-one, stand the cobs on end and very carefully, with a sharp knife, cut down the centre of the cob. The core can be tough so you may need to gently rock the knife from tip to handle a little. Then lay the corn halves on the board cut side down and cut each half into quarters. Once all the corn is chopped, set aside while you make the marinade.
4. In a large mixing bowl, put the lemon juice, smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, grated garlic, chopped chilli, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a generous pinch of salt then whisk everything together until well mixed.
5. Add the sweetcorn ribs to the marinade then with clean hands, tumble the sweetcorn around in the marinade until they’re all well coated.
6. TO BBQ: If you’re cooking on the BBQ, place the ribs on the hot grill and sizzle for 2 or 3 minutes on each side.
TO ROAST: If you’re roasting them in the oven, place the sweetcorn ribs on a baking tray in one even layer then drizzle over the rest of the marinade. Place the tray in the hot oven and roast for 15 minutes.
7. Mix together the mayo and 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce in a little bowl.
8.Roughly chop the coriander or parsley.
9. Take the sweetcorn ribs off the BBQ or remove them from the oven and transfer them to a bowl or a platter, scatter over the herbs serve the mayo for dipping and dolloping!