Thai Sweetcorn Soup
Thai Sweetcorn Soup
This is a delicious, hearty, soup - with the fragrant Thai curry paste, rich coconut milk, sweetcorn and rice - it’s bold, full of flavour and makes a really satisfying meal for lunch or dinner.
Ingredients to serve 4:
150g of white rice (or rice of your choice) OR leftover cooked rice
1 bunch (about 6-8) of spring onions, finely slice, widthways
1 chilli, finely chopped - remove the seeds if you don’t want as much heat!
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and grated
1 big thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
2 tablespoons of Thai green curry paste
1 tin of coconut milk
Olive oil or cooking oil of your choice
1 lime cut into quarters
1. Cook the rice according to the instructions on the packet. Once it is cooke, set aside. Alternatively, if you have leftover rice from the night before - use that!
2. Start by getting all your ingredients ready according to the ingredients list.
3. To prep the corn, peel away the outer husks and silks (stringy bits) then rinse the cobs under running water. One at a time, hold the cobs upright in the middle of a bowl (to catch the corn) and carefully cut the corn off the cobs with a sharp knife. Alternatively you can lay them on their sides on a chopping board to cut away to corn - whichever feels more comfortable to you! Either way, scoop up all the sweetcorn kernels in a bowl and set aside.
4. Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and pour in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
5. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli, stir it into the oil and let it all gently sizzle for a minute or two.
6. Add the spring onions to the pan, mix them with everything else a let it all cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
7. Add the Thai curry paste to the pan, give everything a stir and let the curry paste cook for a minute.
8. Pour in the coconut milk and 1 tins worth of fresh water followed by the sweetcorn and a dash of Tamari sauce - about 1 or 2 tablespoons or to your taste. Let the broth come to the boil then reduce a simmer and let it all just gently bubble for 10 minutes.
9. Add the rice and continue to simmer for another 3 minutes.
10. Serve in bowls with the wedges of lime on the side everyone to help themselves and squeeze over the top.