Veggie Cottage Pie
Veggie Cottage Pie
Nana Marie (The Boxxfresh Babies Nana and Kelly's darling mum) makes THE best cottage and shepherds pies. This is her incredible, veg-packed veggie version – it’s pure comfort and an absolute family favourite.
3-4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped into small pieces or grated
1.5kg potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 white onions, finely diced
3 sticks of celery, finely diced
2 big handfuls of mushrooms, finely diced or grated
1 tbsp fresh rosemary or thyme
1 tin of lentils, drained and washed
1 good quality vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 350ml of boiling water
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp tamari sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
1.Pre-heat the oven to 180c/ 350f/ gas mark 4 then pop the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water and boil until cooked.
2. Meanwhile, place a large frying pan or saucepan over a medium heat and drizzle in a litte olive oil before tumbling in the garlic and onions and allow them to sizzle gently for 3 or 4 minutes.
3. Add the celery, mushrooms and herbs then cook for a further 4 or 5 minutes, stirring occassionally.
4. Add in the lentils, followed by the stock, tomato puree, tamari sauce and salt and pepper to your taste. Mix everything together well and bring to the boil before reducing to a simmer. Allow to gently cook for about 30 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half.
5. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them really well. Mash your potatoes with a good pinch of salt, pepper and a little olive oil. Set aside.
6. Transfer your veggie filling into an oven proof dish then top evenly with your mashed potato. Pop in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the mash is golden and crispy on top.
TOP TIP - Feel free to change up your mash topping to whatever you fancy, sweet potato, carrot, celeriac, swede or a total root veggie mixture.