Veggie Lasagne Recipe
Veggie Lasagne Recipe
This is a family staple that we have tweaked into a completely plant based version.
The finely chopped veggies mixed with lentils and tomatoes cooks down into an amazingly delicious sauce that would give any regular lasagne a run for its money!!!
RAGU SAUCE :
2-3 red onions
5 garlic cloves
A good splash of tamari - approx 2 tbsp
Woody herbs fresh or dried ( 1 1/2 tsp thyme, oregano if dried)
1 x Aubergine - chopped into small pieces
1 x 400g tin lentils washed and drained
2 x large handfuls / approx 300g mushrooms
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1/2 tube tomato puree or 4 sundried tomatoes finely chopped
Salt & pepper to season
BÉCHAMEL SAUCE :
Good knob of vegan butter - we love natruali brand.
3 - 4 tablespoons of plain flour
1 carton/ 200ml of plant based cream (we use oatly)
A good handful vegan cheese
1 pack of lasagne sheets 9 (egg free ) approx 300g
Vegan cheese of choice for topping before baking.
Step 1 is making the ragu sauce - you can double up this recipe and freeze making your next lasagne super easy!
To make this ragu sauce I use a food processor to chop all the veggies- this makes it super quick and easy. If you don't have one no worries it just takes a little chopping.
1. Get a large or casserole dish add a good glug of olive oil.
2. Grab your Aubergine and slice lengthways in half. Slice again lengthways into thin strips then chop into small pieces.
3. Turn the pan onto a low to medium heat and add the aubergine in batches letting it cook down until browned and softened.
4. Set the aubergine aside.
5. Finely chop the onions and garlic and add to the same pan- let these slowly cook down for a few minutes.
6. Chop the mushroom finely or blitz in the processor.
7. Add the aubergine and mushrooms to the pan with the onions and garlic and sit allowing to cook gently.
8. Add your rinsed lentils to the pan, followed by the herbs and stir.
9. Now add your tinned tomatoes ( with a can full of tap water), tomato puree, tamari, season with a good pinch of salt & pepper.
10. Give this a good stir and add lid.
11. This can be cooked slowly on the hob or popped in the oven to slowly cook for an hour until this reduces and becomes and lovely rich dark colour.
12. Ragu sauce done!
To make the béchamel sauce you will need a small saucepan and your ingredients.
1. Pop your pan on a medium heat and add your butter and slowly melt.
2. Add the flour and mix until it becomes a paste.
3. Add your plant based milk slowly, stirring this until it thicken and becomes and smooth thick white sauce.
4. Add a good handful of your cheese of choice and stir.
5. Set this aside ready to assemble the lasagne.
Time to put this gorgeous thing together!
You will need a medium size oven proof dish, your ragu sauce, béchamel sauce, lasagne sheets and extra cheese.
Before you start pre heat your oven to 180 degrees / gas mark 6/7
1. Start with a layer of pasta sheets on the bottom
2. Add a generous layer of ragu sauce spreaded evenly.
3. Add a layer of your béchamel sauce.
4. Now a layer of pasta sheets again.
5. Repeat this until you finish with a layer of béchamel sauce.
6. Finish with a good sprinkle of your vegan cheese and its ready for baking.
7. Bake your lasagne for aproxx 40 mins or until the top is browned and crispy.
8. Remove from the oven and serve.
Delicious on its own, with a chunk of crusty bread or a crispy salad!