Veggie Marmite Gravy
Veggie Marmite Gravy
Marmite lovers - you know its all good! Marmite haters - don’t hate until you’ve tried it, we’ve got your back
The Marmite in this gravy gives it a bold savoury punch, perfect for pouring over any bowl of Sausage & Mash, Sunday Roast, Seasonal Feast, or just to have as back up in the freezer when only gravy can save the day!
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 leek, trimmed and roughly chopped
2 sticks of celery, roughly chopped
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
4 or 5 mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 sprigs of rosemary
3 sprigs of thyme
2 vegetable or mushrooms stock cubes
2 teaspoons of Marmite
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1. Put a large saucepan on a medium heat and pour in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Tumble in onion and mushrooms and let them all cook in the pan for approx 10 minutes, stirring regularly allowing them to soften and caramelise turning a deep golden brown around the edges.
3. All all the roughly chopped carrot, leek, celery. Allow these to cook for about 10 mins until softened.
4. Put the stock cubes in a mug or jug and pour over boiling water. Stir the liquid until to stock cubes have dissolved then pour it all into the pan. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to cover the the veggies.
5. Add the rosemary, thyme and balsamic vinegar to the pan. Bring the mixture to the boil then reduce the heat so the the mix simmers (gently bubbles) for 20 minutes or until the veggies are super soft.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Remove your woody herbs and set to one side. Carefully blend the mixture with a hand blender or in a free standing mixer until its all very well blended and smooth.
7. Now pass the gravy through a sieve which basically means - Place a colander over a saucepan and a couple of ladles at a time, pour the gravy through the sieve. With a wooden spoon, stir the content of the sieve to help the liquid pass through and squeeze out all the goodness from the bits left behind. Discard the bits in the sieve and you’ll be left with a delicious, smooth, silky gravy.
8. Add the Marmite and stir it though well. Have a little taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste by adding a little more salt and pepper or Marmite according to how you like your gravy!
9. Warm though just before serving and pour away!